Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The character of a leader

I have been thinking about leadership a lot lately.  I am taking a class at Wheaton on leadership.  I am teaching a class at our church on leadership.  I have been asked advice about a local leadership program.  And the daily challenges of being a leader always has me considering leadership as well. 

I want to flesh out some of those thoughts in writing so I will make some attempt at that here.

One of the things that I am more and more convinced of is that character and integrity is a foundation to effective long term leadership.  In my experience, if you are a leader then it is inevitable that people will question your decisions.  As a result, they will begin to scrutinize your life and character.  Unknowingly, people often micro-analyze the life of leaders and over emphasize a persons flaws to destroy them in their mind. 

Not many people have a lot of grace with leaders.  Sad.

This is one of the reason that I think that the life of a leader must be impeccable.  He or she must be above reproach in every way.  Speech, conduct, life, purity.  Unfortunately, they are still human and so they will let people down.  But if their pattern of life is consistent, hopefully that will rise to the surface.

Because character is key, ongoing character development should be a central goal of any leader.  John Maxwell says "Unaddressed cracks in character only get deeper and more destructive with time". 

What are you doing today to continue to develop your character?

No comments: