Monday, June 2, 2008

What is a friend?

For the learning community that I am involved in, this month we were reading and discussing Kent Hughes book Disciplines of a Godly Man. It is an excellent book that I have read before. Last night, we met to discuss the book. We spent quite a bit of time discussing the discipline of friendship.

I don't often think of friendship as a discipline.

The book shares that it is estimated that only about 10% of men have any real friends. This poses the question of "what is a real friend".

I feel so blessed that in all stages of my life, God has graced me with the gift of friendship. High school, college, different churches- God has put people around me who love Him and who care about me and others. What a blessing. So many people don't have it. Good friendships have a lot to do with growing me into the person that I am today.

What qualities make a good friend? Can a person be a good leader without having close friendships? Should friendship be seen as an indispensable discipline of Christian growth?

No comments: