Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Is this what God wanted?





This week, I read the book Pagan Christianity by George Barna and Frank Viola. The basic premise of the book is to offer research that shows that many of our church practices have roots in paganism.


I would not agree with all of the books conclusions. I also felt that many of the "facts" were presented with this viewpoint being emphasized.

That being said, the book offered a lot of great questions and I would recommend reading it. Many of the questions asked, we asked ourselves more than five years ago when we were beginning to come together as the church that is now called Lighthouse Christian Fellowship.

Here are some sample questions that the book addresses:

Why do we dress up for church?
Are we expected to tithe?
Why do we build or buy buildings to meet as a church?
Should there be a "head" pastor or primary leader?
When we say "church" today, why do we mean a building or a place?

I continue to wrestle with my doctrine of the church. What should it look like? What should it not be? What things have we made it, that are a barrier to it being what God intended it to be?

Let me know some of your thoughts about what the church is supposed to look like. I want to hear from people who love the church as I do, not those who hate church and want to dismiss it as irrelevent.

No comments: