Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Trip Lee 20/20

Ben Washer from Reach Records sent me one of Trip Lee's new CD -20/20 to review. Honestly, I think it was a mistake. I think that he had me confused with someone else, but since I got the CD I will give my thoughts.

I really have no right to critique hip hop music except for the fact that I have been listening to it off and on for about 20 years. Yes, I go all the way back to Kool Moe Dee, Boogie Down Productions, Heavy D. and the boyz, and many more.
I am still getting used to this CD, but it definately is worth purchasing. The content of the message is powerful as always with any Reach artist. The theme of clearing up our vision to see clearly according to God's Word instead of the messed up vision of culture is throughout the tracks. The album is full of guest appearances (Lecrae, Cam, Shai Linne, Flame, and the list goes on).
At some level, a critique of good music is about style. I enjoy good hip hop. I want good Christ honoring content in my music. I want artists whose life represents the message that they portray. Trip has all of this. But I also can have too much of a style. Trip Lee's style is like that to me. I like a song here and there, but have trouble listening to a whole album in one sitting. That's just me. Other styles I can listen to a whole album the whole way through. For me, this is Lecrae, Shai Linne, Flame. And of course, my guy Catalyst.
That being said, here are a few of my favorites from 20/20: Come close, Who He is, Eyes open.
If you are looking for bangin' hip hop that glorifies God and not the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, then 20/20 is for you.

No comments: