Friday, May 1, 2009

The power of words

Vice President Joe Biden stated yesterday on the Today show "I would tell members of my family - and I have - I wouldn't go anywhere in confined places now. It's not going to Mexico, it's you're in a confined aircraft when one person sneezes it goes all the way through the aircraft. That's me. I would not be, at this point, if they had another way of transportation, suggesting they ride the subway. So from my perspective, what it relates to is mitigation.

"If you're out in the middle of a field and someone sneezes, that's one thing. If you're in a closed aircraft or a closed container, a closed car, a closed classroom, it's a different thing."

If the VP of the country is saying that he would tell his family not to go one a plane, a subway, a car, then don't you think that he believes that no one in the country should be doing that? Wasn't Biden essentially suggesting that it would be best if all planes, trains, and automobiles were shut down until furthur notice.

He is either right or he is so clueless to the importance of his own words. He is contradicting the president, the national health organizations, and everyone else. But there is little talk in the media of his careless words.

I find it suprising that he is not being raked over the coals for his careless use of words. Maybe it is because the media doesn't like to make this administration look bad.

What do you think about the importance of words? Do you think that Biden was being reckless to make such a statement? Why is noone listening to him?

No comments: