Monday, July 7, 2008

Three tests

We have been going through I John at church. John tells us that this book is written to those who believe in Jesus "so that you may know that you have eternal life." (I John 5:13) John offers three tests throughout the book. He keeps coming back to these three ideas.

I would label them the truth test, the love test, and the obedience test. John tells the saints to put themselves to the test to help them find assurance of their salvation.

I have been putting myself to these tests as we have journeyed through the book. They could be asked in the form of three questions.

Do you believe the truth about Jesus according to the Bible?

Do you love your brothers and sisters in Christ?

Are you obedient to God's commands?

How are you doing? Truth, love, obedience.

No comments: