Thursday, April 10, 2008

What I've been reading

I just read a couple of good books in the last week. The book GRACISM by David Anderson is pictured above. The author defines gracism as the positive extension of favor on other humans based on color, class or culture. It is a stimulating read for those who feel that the church is called to be a part of the solution to the race problems that still exist in our society. It is a simple read as well.

The book JESUS FOR PRESIDENT by Shane Clairborne and Chris Haw was a bit longer, but with many more challenges. It is a call to US Christians to look at how Jesus should affect our citizenship. In the intro it says "too often the patriotic values of pride and strength triumph over the spiritual virtues of humility, gentleness, and sacrificial love".
This book will have you evaluating your worldview. It is definitely worth reading if only for the fact that it is different than most messages that we hear today. Read this if you want to be challenged in your current belief system. I would encourage you to read it with a discerning eye as well and not just swallow everything as true.

Has anyone else read either of these books and have thoughts to share? What good books have you read lately that you would like to refer?

2 comments:

Aaron said...

KG,
Tell me more about this Shane book. I loved his first book but have been a little skeptical (not really though) about his "orthodoxy." I read a lot of "un orthodox" authors so this doesn't deter me in any way but I was wondering if you knew anything about what Shane believes. A lot of "emergant" folks claim him as one of theirs. I am not anti emerging but these "emergant" folks are a whole nother group of folks denying scripture and hell and other things.

Anyway help a brotha out! Tell me more about book and the author when you get a chance.

Peace,

PS. Why is the word verification thing on your blog. Take it off!:)

KG said...

Sorry about the word verication. I saw you snappin on that on someone else's blog. I remove it just to keep you happy.

Shane Claiborne.

Good question. A lot of people wonder. I have heard Shane in person several times and read both his books and other articles he has written. I have heard him say some things and read some things that he has written that leave me with some real questions about his belief system. He is not one of those outright heretic emergents. But he does say some things that make me uncomfortable theologically.

But I will also say this. The times I have heard him, I have always been inspired to walk more closely with Jesus. Both his books, especially the first, have caused me to evaluate my motives, my habits, and what I value. He is driven. He is radical. He loves Jesus. He loves people.

I don't really have a full opinion of Shane, but I value his imput into my life, because I am challenged to love Jesus more by his life and words. So I don't know if I would always agree with him, but I value him.

I don't know if that helps or furthur confuses the issue for you. Obviously, I have mixed feelings about Shane.

I do think his book is worth the time to read. Shalom.